10.4.08

But I digress...

Any previous statements I may have made about not turning this into another chock-full-of-poetry journal should be summarily trashed. I know I won't be able to make it to Chicory tomorrow, but I do have a poem to share:



Cryptozoology
by Mark Sniadecki


You were such a delicate
creature - deer come down
to the tranquil pondside
glade

- carried poetry
in gold strands of spider-
web laced in your
womanly antlers.

You left behind
evidence like bedded down
tufts of grass
and odd shed skins -

Then one day
I accidentally dressed
in huntsman's gear
- crashed aloud,
clumsy in the cattails -

and now I hold only
this tintype
of slender legs dis-
appearing between
trees I cannot uproot.

1 comment:

Charmi said...

"deer come down" -- very nice.

And we missed you yesterday, but I understand.