2.4.08

The Ballad of Allison Loan


She was some kind of regent

like an orphanage queen;
her blessings had been overcast.
They took her away
in a wagon ash-gray
and a janitor emptied her past.

For seventeen years
she amassed birthday candles
until on a midsummer's night:
a god with a hammer
and one eye for cold steel
layed her out with a peregrine light.

I met her in Texas
in bars rimmed with salt;
I nursed back her last dying coal.
There were tinfoil stars
in the heavenly vault
but none of them paid at the pole.

Where Thursday's wind took her
I know second-hand;
where the alley dogs hunch in the rain.
Some stone carver paying
his granddaughter's rent
will chip out her final refrain.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hullo--I found blog via your Lunesta comment on mine.

I've been enjoying your poetry, and I liked the rhythm of this poem especially. Lovely!

Mark said...

Steph,

Thank you for the compliment.

I see that on your profile you've got your occupation listed as "word, words, words"... what kind of writing do you enjoy?

Incidentally, on a completely unrelated note, I'm always looking for new submissions for my website, windjammerpress.org ;)

- Mark