23.1.08

Trite

I sat downstairs eating kisses all evening watching Stephen Fry's Q.I. and letting the day's weights slip off my shoulders, and now I've come upstairs and checked out ninetynights.com and my email for signs of life, and thinking about the fast-writes that Julie Frayer assigned to us that great semester of creative writing, when it was Eli and Paul and me and Mayor McCheese, and times were different, for one thing I didn't say things like "times were different", because I knew perfectly well that people have always, always been people. So here I am trying the fast-write thing again, non-stop tappety-tap-tap on the keys, dragging in whatever stimulus presents itself, not deleting if at all possible, the jars of sand on the computer desk brought to me from Hawaii, the empty Pepsi bottle, the Feathers McGraw keychain, and what this makes me remember is, yeah, that class again—I was so thick into my fantasy worlds then, building societies and wildernesses, lifting up characters I wanted to watch on screen, if only someone would make my movie—and I could never write a script, really, the one time I tried was at IUSB and they roped in a couple drama students to read it aloud (not just me, everyone else's too) and I must have been firetruck red, and now my concentration is being interrupted by some loud woman erupting from my wife's computer's speakers—some little piece of "news" that's circulating today, apparently—and anyway where did I leave off? Right, right, the play, the play's the thing and boy, hasn't—


—back, had to bring the dog inside from our wonderful arctic wonderland, ever seen an abominable snowman flip out when three dozen balloons of cocaine burst inside him? Okay, if you haven't seen that episode of Robot Chicken you're severely worried about me, but that's alright, fortunately my bro has the same sense of humor and we laugh when nobody in their right mind probably would. Yeah, that's him working his tail off in the warehouse where they only promote family members and screw the rest every chance they get, but enough biography let's talk about your chances in the cosmic race where you've slipped on your diamond running shoes and found you've got a soul, a rather nice one shining and looking for a reason, any reason really not to fly the coop at the first opportunity, and lucky for you you ol' boondoggle horny toad there are oodles of reasons around every bend, not the least of which is spring who even now turns restless in her bed, ready to rise and tie on the green dress one more time again, but until then, better keep your shirt on, Peggy. It's cold. Real cold.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I love this...it's always so interesting what freewriting can bring up. My favorite part..."ol' boondoggle horny toad." I don't know why, not even sure what exactly it means, but I love it. I should try some of this freewriting...it never fails to amaze me. We used to do it on paper without lifting your pencil if at all possible; I've never tried it on the computer.

Mark said...

We did it on paper as well, but I sort of decided cut out the middle man in this case, and just typed it instead.

I'm overdue for a "real" blog post--need to find something local to write about...

Charmi said...

I'm with Rachel, the freewrites are fun. But my old eyes are getting, well, old. Your font is so small!

Mark said...

I suppose I could bump the font size up a bit. But if I do it for one, I'm doing it for all of them--because while I may not be OCD, I come darn close sometimes. ;)

Rachel said...

Yeah, we're all going to have to start writing in "large print" so Charmi will be able to read our blogs. HA. Gotcha Charmi!

(Oh, and I completely understand the need for uniformity. Otherwise, your blog might be unbalanced. It's like needing to put the same amount of deodorant on each side. Not that I think about that. But somebody might.;)

Anonymous said...

So, funny "chance" experience. I googled my name for the first time and stumbled upon your blog. I'm so glad you have such fond memories of that creative writing class--I do, too! You all taught me more than I think I ever could've taught you! You're still talented as ever. :) Glad you seem to be well! Cheers-- Formerly, Julie Frayer--(now Piller) :)

Mark said...

Julie,

It's so good to hear from you! I always wondered how you had fared after we parted ways. Have you stayed with teaching?

That class was among the most formative experiences of my life. I still have several of our assignments (including at least one of the fast-writes) and the literary magazine.

In case you're curious, Paul and I remained friends all through college, and I still hang out with him every week. Eli joined the Marines after high school and we never really got a correspondence going. The last I saw of him was five years ago when I was working at Waldenbooks--he came into the store around Christmas that year, said he was swapping out radios & such for the army in Okinawa.

Mrs. Swintz passed away... I think that was after graduation, so I don't know if you'd heard.

As for me, well, you can probably glean most the details from my blog entries. And you should totally check out my website: windjammerpress.org

Drop me a line sometime, I'm always up for reminiscing. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi again! Sorry it took a bit of time to travel back around to your blog. I'm in what seems to be the busiest time of the year right now.

I am indeed still teaching. In fact, I spent my first three years as a teacher in "the Bend" at Saint Joe; then, I was blessed to receive a teaching position at my alma mater (Bishop Chatard High School) in Indianapolis, where I've been ever since. I'm teaching mostly honors sophomore students, and as enthusiastically as possible, I'm offering doses of A Separate Peace (by John Knowles), Antigone, and Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. And, of course, I'm sneaking in creative writing when they least suspect it. ;) Sophomores are nutty to teach, but very fun; they keep me hopping.

It's good to hear a bit of an update on Paul & Eli. I'm glad you all seem to be doing so well. I did eventually hear about Mrs. Swintz, too. Quite a few years ago, when I was still living in South Bend, I ran into Emily Black, and she gave me the sad news. She was certainly a lady who taught me a lot and who was very supportive.

It's funny how my days at Washington H.S. have cropped up into my life again. I stumbled upon your blog; then, as my husband and I were going through a bunch of storage crates this weekend, I found several copies of The Hatchet from 1997, my student teaching portfolio, our literary magazine, and the index cards I had you all fill out about yourselves. It was quite a trip down memory lane!

I promise to check out windjammerpress sometime soon! Be well! :)