12.8.09

Inscription

Photobucket

I've posted this photo once before, in my Livejournal. Awhile ago I ordered a used copy of a "A Stone, A Leaf, A Door: Poems" by Thomas Wolfe, and when it arrived by mail I opened it and found this inscription. It asks so many questions--are Edward and Harry (Harriet? Harold?) still around? What sort of person would pass something like this off to a used bookstore? Whatever the story, I would love to know it. It's almost too intimate to display, but at the same time, it's so beautiful I want to immortalize it, share it to the eyes of the world. This is a record of someone's life changing--don't we all long for someone to have such an effect upon us?

1 comment:

SarahJane said...

That is lovely. Surely Edward died and the book went off to auction.
That's one of the things I love about used books, too - finding inscriptions, or even just names and dates.