22.1.09

"We don't see Things--we see where Things are."

Two ancient atoms of the sun
by chance, by law, crushed into one:
thus was my lover’s face begun.

A sea of waves of light
that rolled millions of miles last night,
that reached us, always reaching us
on the run:
bathing all and saving none.

And when that sun-tide struck her cheek
it turned to leave, ricocheted, it spun:
honey-colored lengths of light
like braided hair undone.

They fled her cheek and came to me,
weightless strands invisibly,
until my widened iris took them
in as refugees:
caught them in the cones and keys,
deciphered all their beauty.

O reticent and mirrored mores
revealed in windows of the soul:
my heart sends forth its softest soldiers
there to guide you home.

* * *

If ever I speak dark of love
only moonshine knows whereof.

No comments: